Wednesday, June 27, 2007

You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor...

Hi everyone. I'm at work right now. For those of you not in the know, I started my new job at the World Bank in Washington, DC on Monday. It runs through October 24. The department that I work in is in charge of processing applications for the World Bank-International Monetary Fund annual meeting, held in late October. Banks send long lists of delegates to our office, and we clear them for admission, respond telling them that they've been admitted, and then when it comes time for the meeting, actually issue them badges allowing them to enter. Pretty straightforward, clerical stuff. Unfortunately, if no one sends any information to us that needs to be processed, our department doesn't really have anything to do. That's where we're at now. I have spent the past three days going over details of the trip to Stony Brook and graduate school stuff, alternately. It's been nice, because I'm making money to do the things I would normally have to do anyway, and I'm not exposed to dangerous, festering plants like Jeff is. My search for graduate schools has been kind of fruitful, I guess, but confusing at the same time. Because I don't have initial certification like most teaching candidates at this point in their careers, I have to apply for more non-traditional programs, it seems. Some schools, like Geneseo, don't even offer programs to people who aren't initially certified (bastards). Binghamton, Albany, and Brockport, the three schools I have spent the most time looking at, offer three completely different programs. Has anybody else spent time looking at graduate schools, or is anyone interested to moving to one of these three locales in late December-early January? c'mon, you know you want to!

1 comment:

DJ Believe it or Not said...

Hi, I don't think I belong, but maybe someday i will...? sometimes my computer hates me and life, its on its way out for realz. I'm on zach's right now, in binghamton, in our apartment, looking out over the susquehanna river, drinking water because we don't have anything else to drink.

As for moving to a location, I'm already here. Without having asked my roommate yet, i'm going out on a limb and saying you can move in with us, but then our rent would go from 600 to 750...so we would each pay 250 a month. that would be sweet. plus you could live with us.

Grad school-that search is big pain in the ass. I like the mat program here because it is heavy on the content area as well as education. Its a short program with a good outcome, and lots of good experience. I like the staff i've met very much, and all the prof's at geneseo who asked me what I was doing after school were happy and expressed how good the program was. so thats my thought. Plus, Binghamton is not that bad. I am lost completely on campus, but that will just take time. It is my one fear that I will never learn my way around the library.

Anyhow. I guess i can post an update on myself in this comment too, no? I work days at dunkin donuts (Joe, don't drink that sobe shit, its way overpriced and stains my hands. No doubt your insides are now bright green and cherry lime flavored. also, corporate said it was gross, no joke) and struggle not to eat donuts all day long. It is a stupid job that takes little thought and is somewhat frustrating. half the people that work there are pregnant, and I'm the only one that doesn't have a child. VEIRD! Also, "upper management" has decided that our payroll is too high, so everyone's hours just got cut in half. This is very rude to me. Yesterday I rolled all of my tips (they were all coins) and there was $63. It was very exciting.

Other than that, I have been at the restaurant a few nights a week. and i made some nice curtains for our apartment, as well as a beach tote. tomorrow i'm going on vacation w/ the dietl family to pawley's island south carolina. I can't wait, because i have not been to the beach since 9th grade. JOY. Hope you are all doing well, I miss you!!

xoxox Becca